What is the most difficult thing for a first year teacher?

Monday, June 14, 2010

Research on Rocks


In class, we completed a research assignment on rocks. I learned about rubies, which is my birthstone. Even though it was interesting, it was difficult for me to consider how I would use a research assignment in my classroom with pre-k students. I may be able to create a power point of pictures of different types of weather, and ask them to find rainy. However, I don't know that this would really be research. I know it would require a very watered down version of our assignment, because my students cannot yet read. Although I think if I had a smart board in my classroom, we could do something like this together if it was a topic they were interested in. For example, during my internship in kindergarten the students were interested in the difference between alligators and crocodiles. So, we did a small research activity on the computer together. They looked at the pictures while I read them the information about each. I believe they learned something in that moment because I took time to recognize their interests. I believe I could do this with preschool also. It’s not as complex as our assignment, and the students don’t find the information themselves. However, they do hear the new information and understand it comes from the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment